Ok, I’m calling it. It’s definitely not summer anymore. For the first time in months, I walked to the salon this morning wearing a jacket and scarf, closed toe shoes and may or may not have used a quick blast of the hairdryer to warm myself up when I arrived. Sad face.
But it’s not all doom and gloom. Now that autumn is upon us, we can finally get to work on transforming our summer frazzled hair into healthy and chic autumn tresses. Let me share with you my top 5 tips and tricks for restoring your locks for Autumn/Winter 2015.
1. Time to book that haircut. It’s essential after enjoying the summer sun that you book into the salon to give your hair a new lease of life and remove those damaged ends. Even if you’ve been really protective of your hair, I always recommend to my clients that they have a good trim in order to keep their hair looking and feeling healthy. If you’re seeing lots of split ends, ask your stylist for a cut with minimal layers and a strong baseline to eradicate that shattered end feel and build as much weight into the hair as possible.
2. The summer months can have a drying effect on your hair, especially if you’ve continued to use heated styling tools. Treatments are a must to help restore your hair to its former glory. Dampen down your hair and apply Pureology Strength Cure Restorative Masque 150g (£23) through the lengths and ends. The longer you leave it to work its magic the better, so take my advice and pop it on before bed and then rinse out in the morning for gorgeous results that will bring life back to your hair and make it more manageable.
3. Everyone knows that your colour can look a little dull after time in the sun. In between colour appointments you can ask your stylist for just a toner to refresh your colour. These are also available just in clear, which won’t change your colour but add a top coat of shine. If you’re after an at home version, try the EVO Fabuloso Colour Intensifying Conditioners 250ml (£23.00). These provide an instant hair colour refresh combined with a nourishing treatment to condition, repair, add shine, instantly tone and intensify hair colour. All in 3 minutes.
4. Hair with sun and heat damage can become brittle and lack the essential proteins to keep your hair healthy. You’ll need to use products to balance this out. I reach for L’Oreal Professional Pro Keratin Shampoo 250ml (£10.99) to cleanse the hair and the pair it with EVO Mane Prescription Protein Treatment 150ml (£15.65). This intensive treatment works to rebuild strength and leave your hair in optimum condition. It’s definitely my secret weapon.
5. Attempting a smooth and super sleek blow-dry on damaged hair can be a bit of a challenge, even for us professionals. Once you’ve got the right tools and products to hand though, it does make things a bit easier. First you need to build a good foundation using the right products for the job. I opt for Evo Easy Tiger Smoothing Fluid 200ml (£15.10) as it’s a great multitasking product that will make the hair manageable and full of vitality and shine. Using the nozzle on your hairdryer and pointing it downwards onto the hair shaft will smooth the cuticle down, making the hair smoother and have more shine. A professional ceramic brush, such as the Moroccan Oil Ceramic Barrel Brush (£13.85) will make things a lot easier too.
Let me know in the comments below what you’ll be doing to transform your hair this season.