It’s a classic make-up look that can bring dramatic focus to beautiful eyes …but it tends to fill most of us with a bit of dread when it comes to achieving the look at home. It’s time to face your fears and learn how, with a few simple steps, the smokey eye can be your new look for those long summer nights. Let me show you how…
1. Any great make-up look starts with a flawless base. Start off with a thin layer of Maybelline Perfect Primer Base £8.99. This will help to hide any redness and ensure your foundation glides on and, more importantly, stays on. I love L'Oreal True Match Foundation in the shade Ivory Rose £11.50. I apply a small amount to the back of my hand, and then blend into my face with small circular motions using a Kibuki brush. Remember to blend, blend, blend your foundation to achieve that flawless look. A touch of liquid foundation under the eyes and over any blemishes blended with the same brush will complete the look.
2. Line your lower lids with a Kohl eyeliner in the waterline and line the top lid with L’Oreal Paris Infallible Eye Liner in the shade 301 Black £5.10, creating a feline flick at the edges.
3. Now for the clever bit. My hero product of the month has got to be L’Oreal Paris’ Riche Smokey Eye Palette in Noir £7.19. The compact palette is shaped like your eyelid, giving you a ready-made guide to smokey eyes. Start with the second lightest shade, applying it to your whole lid and inner corner. Then apply the darkest shade to the crease and a little into the outer corner. You’ll also want to bring this down to the lower lash line. Then take a clean blending brush and blend that out until you start to see the smokey eye come together. Once you’ve blended, apply the lightest shade to your brow bone as a highlight.
4. If you feel that any excess powder has found its way under your eye, go back in with a dab of concealer.
5. Apply a black mascara to add drama to the lashes. Silk Fibre Lash Mascara £29.95 is great as it builds volume as well as length.
6. Now for the eyebrows. Brush your brows upwards and fill in any gaps with an eyebrow pencil using quick flicks in the direction of hair growth.
7. Sweep a baked bronzer along your cheekbones to define and add a warm glow for summer.
8. Finish with a slick of Maybelline Lip Balm in Pink Punch £8.07 to keep the focus on your eyes.
Tweet me a picture of your completed smokey eye look to @salonlookgirl. I’d love to see them!